Monday, November 8, 2010

How young is too young... drinking

I've drank quite a bit in my lifetime, even though I'm only 18. It all started when I was a child, a glass of wine with dinner, a little beer every once in a while. When I was twelve, I started drinking more varied sorts of liquor and alcoholic beverages. It was around then that I realized I couldn't get drunk, I could get pretty buzzed, but never drunk. So I always watched my limit, cause if you can't get drunk, You won't pass out if you've had too much... and I'm always afraid of Alcohol Poisoning. So even though I drink and I'm young, I tend to be pretty responsible and follow moderation. Since I've turned 18, I've started to really have an opinion about alcohol and the legal age limit. And honestly, I think Japan has a better policy than America, their legal age limit for everything is 20. So when you turn 20 you are an adult, capable of making your own choices and having all of your rights available to you. I mean, I can die for my country, I can drive, I can smoke and buy tobacco; as well as other smoke-ables like Salvia Divinorum, I can vote, I can stay out as late as I want, but I can't have a beer with my dad. Or buy a bottle of wine to cook with.... To me this just seems ridiculous. I'm an adult, but not really, because I don't have all of my rights as a citizen.... So the two solutions that I can think of... 1) Raise the age of becoming an adult to 21, or 2) lower the drinking age to 18.

Problems with #1.
If a draft comes, there will be far less people that can go into the military.

You'll have to have your parents with you in college. *to sign papers and stuff.*

If you work late to support a family, then you have to be home by city issued curfew.

Wards of the state will be in custody longer and that will cost A LOT of money.

Problems with #2.
Drunk driving will probably increase, but adults do this ALL THE TIME anyway.

Alcohol consumption will increase.

No comments:

Post a Comment